Fluffy mashed potatoes with gooey cheesy center… All wrapped in a crisp caramelized crust. Excuse me while I grab some napkins because I’m drooling! These delicious cheesy potato pancakes are addictively good, your family will keep coming back for more!
Is Sugar Necessary in Cheesy Potato Pancakes?
I know this is something I wondered too! If you couldn’t tell by now in my other recipes, I try to keep sugar at a minimum when possible.
Technically, you can get away without using sugar in this recipe, but I won’t lie… sugar makes a difference. Yes, it adds a touch of sweetness, but I really like it mixed in because it helps with caramelization.
That beautifully crisp brown crust is created from the sugar melting browning when it hits the pan. Is there anything more beautiful?
Add Your Flare!
These cheesy potato pancakes are SO good as and you can add additional seasonings if you’d like! I LOVE garlic and onions, so this recipe includes some of that seasoning, but you can dress them up how you like.
You can experiment with different types of cheese, tossing in herbs, or spices. I tried drizzling on some chili oil after it’s cooked and it’s *chef’s kiss*!
How to Reheat Them
These cheesy potato pancakes are a labor of love that can be created in batches! They’re perfect as a side to a meal, snack, or quick bite on the go.
When you’re ready to reheat it, you can pop it in the microwave or (for extra crisp!) reheat them in the air fryer if you have extra time to spare.
Did You Make This Recipe & Hungry for More?
Follow along @MikhaEats on Instagram and Tiktok for drool-worthy step-by-step videos. Tag @MikhaEats on Instagram stories for a chance to be featured!
And don't forget to rate this recipe with 5 stars below so others can enjoy it as well!
Cheesy Potato Pancakes
- 2 large russet potatoes peeled & cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons Mochiko sweet rice flour
- ½ cup mozzarella cut into 2-inch by ½-inch blocks
- Place potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover the potatoes. Cover and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes become soft enough to mash with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes, transfer them back into the pot, and heat back up for a couple of seconds to evaporate excess moisture.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl then add in the rest of the ingredients, except for the mozzarella cheese. Smash the potatoes until they become smooth.
- Divide the mashed potatoes into 8 sections. Form each piece into a ball and make a dent in the middle. Add a cube of mozzarella cheese to the center and wrap the potato mixture around the cheese to fully cover it. Gently flatten it to create a thick disk. Set aside and repeat for the remaining 7.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add about 1 tablespoon of oil then add in potatoes. Work in batches if needed so the pan doesn’t get overcrowded. Cook until golden and crisp on the outside, about 7 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove and place on a plate with paper towels or a wire rack. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and provided for informational purposes. Nutrition may vary based on product availability, methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients, etc. For the most accurate nutritional information, use your preferred nutrition calculator, actual ingredients, and quantities used for the recipe. Please consult with your physician or registered dietitian if more precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.