SO, can we all agree that noodles are one of the best inventions EVER in the culinary world? I mean, what’s not to love?! Bouncy, chewy noodles are just pure joy. Add in some garlicky flavor, an umami kick, and BOOM! You have heaven in one bite. That’s exactly how I describe these easy asian garlic noodles!
Don’t let the simple ingredients fool you. This dish is packed with flavor… And the best part is, you can make it in less than 15 minutes flat!
What Are Asian Garlic Noodles?
The first time I tried these delicious garlic butter noodles was when I lived in San Francisco… And let me tell you, it was love at first bite! I ate so much that I fell into a deep (food coma) sleep and dreamt of eating more haha… Just kidding… Kind of.
This dish has become increasingly popular, especially in the Bay Area. It’s simple ingredients produce a nuttiness from the parmesan, umami from the oyster and fish sauces, and a brightness from a splash of lemon that completely lifts the entire dish.
It’s perfectly comforting, indulgent, and unbelievably simple.
Choosing the Right Noodles
When preparing this asian noodle recipe, I always go for the pre-cooked egg noodles. It’s convenient, time saving, and has the right amount of chew. The only thing to remember is to rinse these noodles well from the packaging.
Usually fresh noodles have a thin film of low quality oil to keep the noodles from sticking to each other. We don’t need that in our dish and want our sauce to stick to the noodz, not their oil, so make sure to rinse them well.
Uncooked dry or fresh noodles can also work well! Just follow the package’s instructions to prepare them, then follow the rest of the recipe instructions. If you can’t find egg noodles, another simple option is reaching for good ol’ spaghetti noodles, they’re available everywhere.
Whip Up Easy Garlic Butter Noodles
This dish is an easy favorite asian noodle recipe because you can make it in about 15 minutes and it packs in SO much flavor with minimal effort. If that’s not a win all around, I don’t know what is!
Either as a scrumptious side dish to share… Or even better, an entree all to yourself, these simple asian garlic noodles will definitely bring a smile to your face after your first bite. Try out this recipe and let me know what you think in the comments!
Did You Make This Recipe & Hungry for More?
Follow along @MikhaEats on Instagram and Tiktok for drool-worthy step-by-step videos. Tag @MikhaEats on Instagram stories for a chance to be featured!
And don't forget to rate this recipe with 5 stars below so others can enjoy it as well!
San Francisco Butter Garlic Egg Noodles
- 16 ounces cooked egg noodles*
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 head garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese*
- 1 stalk green onion sliced, optional
- Cooked Egg Noodles: If you have cooked egg noodles, rinse in hot water or pat down with a paper towel to remove any excess oil from the packaging. Set aside.
- Raw Egg Noodles: If your egg noodles aren’t cooked yet, prepare according to package instructions, rinse in cold water, drain, and set aside.
- Tip: If noodles are hard to separate, heat them in the microwave in 30 second intervals until warm and easy to separate, then prepare noodles as instructed above.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
Cook Garlic Noodles:
- Heat a large pan or wok over medium heat. Add the unsalted butter to melt, then reduce the heat to medium-low, add the garlic, and cook for a few minutes, or soft and until fragrant. Keep an eye on the garlic and adjust the heat as needed so it doesn't burn.
- Sprinkle on the garlic powder, stir and allow to infuse for a few more seconds, then pour in sauce mixture. Stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add noodles, and stir fry until the noodles are well coated in the sauce and heated through. Turn off the heat then sprinkle on freshly grated parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese melted.
- Finish with green onions on top, if desired. Serve immediately & enjoy!
- Noodles: If you can’t find egg noodles, you may also use spaghetti noodles. Prepare the spaghetti noodles according to the package, then follow the rest of the recipe.
- Parmesan Cheese: Repeat after me - freshly grated cheese only! Yes, it makes a world of difference because the freshly grated cheese actually melts beautifully with the noodles and sauce for delicious creaminess. Pre-shredded cheese is coated in a powder to prevent the cheese from sticking together in the package and ends up being clumpy in the noodles. Don't say I didn't warn you!
- Oyster Sauce & Fish Sauce: If you haven't used these ingredients before, don't be scared of having a fishy taste in your food. Both add so much umami and it melts beautifully with the rest of the ingredients. You can easily find them at your local Asian market.
- Rice Vinegar: Because this dish is so rich, the rice vinegar helps brighten the dish so it doesn't feel so heavy - definitely don't recommend skipping this ingredient.
- Garlic Powder: This helps amplify the garlic flavor and adds complexity between the fresh and dry garlic. Make sure you're using garlic POWDER (not garlic salt), otherwise, your noodles will be too salty!
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and provided for informational purposes. Nutrition may vary based on product availability, methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients, etc. For the most accurate nutritional information, use your preferred nutrition calculator, actual ingredients, and quantities used for the recipe. Please consult with your physician or registered dietitian if more precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.