Finding a snack that pleases meat-lovers AND vegetarians can be tricky… until now. Who doesn’t love a crispy crunch crust and silky fluffy interior?! Name me one person… I will wait. Air fryer crispy tofu is one of those snacks that you can’t stop popping into your mouth. It doesn’t matter if you’re a vegetarian or hard-core carnivore, once you taste one of these, good luck stopping!
Extra Crunchy Air Fryer Crispy Tofu
Creating an addictively crisp exterior comes down to the breading you use! While using a starch like flour can make a nice crunch, it won’t get to the ultimate crunchiness. Do you really want to miss out?!
My favorite type of starch to use for a crunchy exterior, whether it’s for tofu or fried chicken, is tapioca starch (also known as tapioca flour). Tapioca starch can be easily found in Asian markets. If you have a hard time find it though, another great alternative is cornstarch!
Another trick to getting a premium crisp to your tofu is by letting the tofu sit for about 5 minutes after they’re tossed in the tapioca starch. This allows the starch to absorb onto the tofu, as opposed to falling off while cooking.
Need More Additictively Good Snacks & Side Dishes?
Check These Other Recipes You’ll Love!
- Furikake Kale Chips (4 Ingredients only!)
- Shrimp & Avocado Wontons (Easy snack!)
- Spicy Garlicky Edamame (5 minutes only!)
- Marinated Eggs (SUPER easy!)
Did You Make This Recipe & Hungry for More?
Follow along @MikhaEats on Instagram and Tiktok for drool-worthy step-by-step videos. Tag @MikhaEats on Instagram stories for a chance to be featured!
And don't forget to rate this recipe with 5 stars below so others can enjoy it as well!
Air Fryer Crispy Tofu
Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 ½ teaspoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 2 Thai chilies finely minced, adjust to your spice level
- ¼ cup tapioca starch*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14 oz block firm tofu cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine sweet chili dipping sauce ingredients, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine tapioca starch, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and salt. Set aside.
- Line a cutting board with paper towels and gently press on the tofu to release some of the moisture. Coat the tofu with tapioca starch mixture, drizzle on the oil, and toss until evenly coated. Let the tofu sit for 5 minutes.
- Lightly brush air fryer rack with a little oil to prevent sticking. Add tofu in a single layer, working in batches if needed to avoid overcrowding. Cook for 10 minutes then flip tofu and cook for another 10 minutes. Once golden & crisp, remove and serve immediately with dipping sauce. These are best enjoyed fresh!
- Tapioca Starch: Tapioca starch can also be labeled as tapioca flour or cassava flour, but you can also use sweet potato starch as well. They’re commonly found in Asian markets. If you have a hard time finding it, you can substitute it with cornstarch.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and provided for informational purposes. Nutrition may vary based on product availability, methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients, etc. Please consult with your physician or registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.