Starving for food and too impatient for take-out? This beef and onions stir fry is perfect when you need a meal now! It’s savory, tangy, and has just a touch of sweetness that goes so well on top of a mound of rice. It’s a delicious stir fry that only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish!
How to Ensure Tender and Juicy Beef
- How to Prevent Tough Chewy Meat: This recipe calls for flank steak, also known as skirt steak, which has long muscle fibers. Use a sharp knife to cut the meat at a 45° angle against the grain so you have wide thin slices, while shortening the muscle fibers. We want to the muscle fibers shorter because longer fibers are what causes chewy meat with this cut of beef.
- Restaurant Secret to SUPER Tender Meat: Cornstarch is much more than a thickener for sauces. It acts as an amazing tenderizer for meat as well! If you’ve ever wondered how Chinese restaurants make the meat so velvety smooth and tender, this is it! A little goes a long way here.
- Timing is Crucial: Like all stir fries, you’ll need to have all your ingredients prepared for this beef and onion stir fry before turning on the stove because everything cooks quickly! This also includes the thin slices of beef you cut. Pay close attention to the meat because it should only take a few minutes to cook. You don’t want to overcook and dry it out. That’s no fun for anyone!
What to Serve with Beef & Onion Stir Fry
This easy weeknight dinner for two comes together so quickly and goes so well with a fluffy bowl of rice! If you’re looking for a more low carb option or round out the meal with more veggies, here are some favorites:
- Miso Roasted Cauliflower
- Bok Choy with Garlic Sauce
- Spinach Garlic Stir Fry
- Kimchi Cauliflower Fried Rice
What’s your go-to food when you order take-out? Let me know in the comments section below!
Let's Get Cooking!
Subscribe to my Goody-Packed Newsletters stuffed with time-saving tips, game-changing cooking tools, & first access to new recipes that makes life easier & more delicious! Get them straight to your inbox so you never go hangry 😉
Beef & Onions Stir Fry
- ½ onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 green onions cut in 2-inch slices
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beef marinade ingredients. Set aside to marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the sauce ingredients.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat. Add about a tablespoon of oil then add in onions and cook until it’s slightly soft but still crunchy. Remove and set aside.
- Add beef & cook until it’s about 80% done, then add in garlic. Cook for a few seconds, or until fragrant.
- Pour in the sauce and simmer for about 20 seconds, or until it starts to bubble and slightly thicken.
- Add in onions back in and cook until beef is cooked through. Turn off heat and finish with green onions on top.
- Serve with hot steamy rice and enjoy!
- Beef: If you can't find beef flank, top sirloin will do. Either way, it's important to cut the beef thinly and against the grain for super tender beef that cooks quickly. To make slicing super easy, cut your beef while it's still partially frozen. You'll get thin cuts of beef much easier compared to cutting it while it's fully defrosted.
- Regular vs Dark Soy Sauce: Regular and light soy sauce is the most common and accessible at grocery stores. They add saltiness to the dish. Dark soy sauce, on the other hand, is used for the rich dark color it gives food. You can easily find it at local Asian markets. If you do omit it, just keep in mind that your sauce will come out lighter in color.
Exact calculations may vary. For the most accurate nutritional information, use your preferred nutrition calculator, actual ingredients, and quantities used for the recipe. Please consult with your physician or registered dietitian if more precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.