Corn cheese has blown up as a rich and creamy side dish that’s taken over many Korean restaurants. There’s nothing like indulging in a bite (or plate's worth) of this gooey cheesiness with succulently tender Kalbi Korean Short Ribs. Or with a saucy bowl of Tteokbokki Ramen in 15 minutes!
This corn cheese recipe needs only a handful of ingredients and it instantly becomes the side dish your family can’t get enough of.
Secret to Cheesiest Gooyest Corn Cheese Recipe
Ultimate Cheesy Goodness
For this recipe, I love using mozzarella cheese. Nothing has quite a cheese pull like mozzarella! If you want maximum cheesy gooeyness, you have to get the right kind of mozzarella: block cheese. Yep, resist the urge to reach for the pre-shredded mozzarella!
Pre-shredded mozzarella is more convenient, I’ll admit. But, it also has a thin coating on the cheese to prevent the shreds from sticking together in the packaging. When it’s cooked, it doesn’t melt together into that Insta-worthy cheesiness you know and love.
Yes, shredding your own cheese takes a little more time and effort, but it’s SO worth it!
I mean... just look this, aren't you drooling?
Essential for Extra Creaminess
For this recipe, we’re using Japanese mayo for a few reasons. Japanese mayo specifically is extra creamy and has a touch of sweetness that immediately adds so much flavor to this corn cheese recipe! It also acts as a binder for the ingredients.
I'm not a picking eater, but one thing I hate eating is corn cheese that separates. It's like the ingredients were ONLY cheese and corn, so the cheese just falls of the corn.
While some may like it this way (I'm not yucking your yum!), it's not for me.
That said, we'll use Japanese mayo to hold everything together while creating a luxurious creaminess. It's SO good!
Looking for More Mouthwatering Sides?
Look no further because I’ve got you covered! Check out some of my favorite side dishes that’ll keep you coming back for more:
- The BEST Furikake Kale Chips Recipe
- Salmon Yaki Onigiri Recipe
- Garlic Spinach Stir Fry
- Garlic Edamame Recipe
- Cauliflower Kimchi Fried Rice
Let's Get Cooking!
Subscribe to my Goody-Packed Newsletters stuffed with time-saving tips, game-changing cooking tools, & first access to new recipes that makes life easier & more delicious! Get them straight to your inbox so you never go hangry 😉
Corn Cheese Recipe
- 1 15-oz can of corn drained
- 3 tablespoons Japanese mayo
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons mozzarella shredded and separated
- 2 green onion thinly sliced for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine corn, Japanese mayo, softened unsalted butter, salt, and ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Mix well then transfer to an oven-safe pan.
- Sprinkle on the remaining 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese.
- Broil in the oven until the mozzarella melts and bubbles. Every oven works differently so keep a close eye on it! If your oven doesn’t have a "Broil" option, bake at 500° until golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, top with green onions, then let it cool for about 3 minutes before diving in! Enjoy while it’s still hot and gooey!
- Japanese Mayo: I highly recommend Japanese mayo for this recipe because it's creamier than American mayo and adds subtle sweet and tangy flavors. You can get it at local Asian or Japanese markets.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Grating your own cheese is the way to go, especially if you want gooey corn cheese with insane cheese pull!
Exact calculations may vary. For the most accurate nutritional information, use your preferred nutrition calculator, actual ingredients, and quantities used for the recipe. Please consult with your physician or registered dietitian if more precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.