Make the most mouthwatering homemade air fryer chicken wings with this SUPER easy recipe! Tossed the most irresistible sweet chili sauce that'll have you licking your fingers (and plate) clean.
Wings are always a crowd-pleaser and these homemade chicken wings will have your friends coming back for seconds... and thirds haha. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience!
This sauce has a delicious balance of fiery spice from the Thai chilis, mellowed by the sweetness of the sweet chili sauce, and a hint of umami from the not-so-secret ingredient: fish sauce.
They're SUPER SIMPLE to put together and make the perfect Game Day appetizer along with hot bubbly Bulgogi Nachos.
- Potato Starch: It's notorious for creating an INSANE crunch! You can find it at your local Asian market (I using get mine from Ranch 99) or Amazon.
- Baking Powder: Note that it's baking POWDER, not baking soda. The baking powder is a god-send for SUPER crunchy wings because it help dry out any additional moisture from the wings.
- Fish Sauce: This is the secret ingredient that adds that extra umph needed to take it from “pretty good”, to “I need more please!” Don’t worry, it doesn’t leave a fishy scent or flavor. Instead, it melts with all the other flavors beautifully and is the seasoning notorious for creating the classic umami flavor.
- Sweet Chili Sauce: Sweet chili sauce has become so much more accessible, I see it at Walmart now. You can also check grab it from your local Asian Market.
Making these easy air fryer chicken wings couldn't be simpler.
The benefit of using an air fryer for this recipe is that you use a lot less oil and have more flexibility to step away to prepare the sauce in the meantime.
Every air fryer is slightly different though. The directions should apply to most air fryers, but make sure to check in on your wings to ensure they stay juicy and crisp!
- Pat dry wings to remove any excess moisture.
- Dust wings with baking powder to help them crisp up even more while cooking.
- Combine breading ingredients then toss in wings to coat well.
- Double-fry the wings in the air fryer by cooking them at low temperature then high to create extra crispy skin.
- Saute shallots, garlic, & Thai chilies in a saucepan on medium-high heat. Then add in fish sauce, sweet chili, and unsalted butter. Cook until butter is melted, then turn off heat and cover.
- Toss wings in the sweet chili sauce, then enjoy!
- Setup for Success: Moisture is the enemy for crispy crunchy wings! Make sure to pat dry them well before coating them in the breading.
- Secrets for Crispy Skin: Dry out the wings even more using baking powder (not baking soda!). Dust it in potato starch and you're golden because it's notorious for creating an incredible crust. Don't miss out!
- Cooking for Juicy AND Crispy Wings: Double frying creates and incredible crunch to wings while keeping them juicy in the center. This recipe recreates that by first cooking them low, then at high to crisp up! The results? An unbelievable crunch that you can literally hear when you run your fork over your homemade chicken wings.
- Make Clean Up Easy: Brush the air fryer tray well with oil before cooking to prevent sticking. It'll make washing the air fryer SO much easier.
- Glazed vs Saucy: When tossing the wings in the glaze, at first it may look like there’s not enough sauce. BUT keep tossing! There’s enough to fully coat the wings, trust me. If you like your wings extra saucy, feel free to double or triple the sauce recipe.
Storing & Reheating Leftovers
Store any leftover chicken wings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
You can reheat them in the microwave or air fryer. Heat the air fryer at 360 degrees F then lightly brush the tray with oil to prevent sticking. Heat the wings for about 5 minutes, or until warm.
Cook them in the air fryer at 360 degrees F for 10 - 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Increase the heat to 400 degrees F and cook for about another 5 - 7 minutes.
Before placing them in the air fryer, make sure to pat them dry and sprinkle on a bit of baking powder to remove excess moisture - it's the enemy of crispiness! Then, coat the chicken evenly in potato starch, which creates an unbelievably crunchy texture.
More Easy Recipes You'll Love!
Did You Make This Recipe & Hungry for More?
Follow along @MikhaEats on Instagram and Tiktok for drool-worthy step-by-step videos. Tag @MikhaEats on Instagram stories for a chance to be featured!
And don't forget to rate this recipe with 5 stars below so others can enjoy it as well!
Homemade EASY Air Fryer Chicken Wings in Sweet Chili
- ½ cup potato starch*
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 pound chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon baking powder not baking soda
- 1 shallot minced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 - 3 Thai chilies finely minced, optional / adjust to spice level
- 1 ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Prep Chicken Wings
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl or large plate, combine breading ingredients. Set aside.
- Pat dry chicken wings to remove any excess moisture. Then, sprinkle on the baking powder and rub it in to evenly coat them.
- Add a few pieces of chicken wings to the breading at a time, scrunching the breading on the wings to really pack it on. Shake off any excess.
Air Fry Chicken Wings
- Apply a thin layer of oil to the air fryer rack to prevent sticking. Working in batches if needed, place chicken wings in the air fryer and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, or until lightly golden and crisp. Flip halfway through.
- Increase heat in the air fryer to 400 degrees and cook for about 5 minutes, or until golden crispy.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. Add about 1 tablespoon of oil, then saute shallots, garlic, and chilies (if using) until fragrant.
- Add in fish sauce and cook for another 15 seconds. Add in sweet chili sauce and melt in unsalted butter. Turn off heat and cover until wings are fully cooked. If the sauce thickens too much, you can add a splash of water to loosen it up.
- Toss in chicken wings until well coated. At first, it may look like there may not be enough sauce to coat the wings, but keep tossing. Serve immediately, sprinkling with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Potato Starch: It creates an incredible crunch compared to other types of flour. You can typically find it at local Asian markets (I get mine at Ranch 99) or Amazon.
- Fish Sauce: This is the secret ingredient that creates a layer of umami flavor in your sauce! Don't worry, it doesn't have a fishy taste - it melts beautifully with the rest of the sweet chili sauce. Don't miss out on this!
- Glazed vs Saucy: This recipe creates enough sauce to coat chicken wings as a thick glistening glaze. If you like saucy wings, you can double or triple the sauce recipe.
Nutrition information is calculated by software based on the ingredients in each recipe. It is an estimate only and provided for informational purposes. Nutrition may vary based on product availability, methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients, etc. Please consult with your physician or registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.